Friday, April 18, 2014

"Don't Forget to Fly; A Cycle of Modern Poems" collected by Paul B. Janeczko

In honor of poetry month, I decided to read a poetry book. “Don’t Forget to Fly” is a collection of modern poems organized by themes. For instance, there are three poems about love and four poems are about teeth extractions. I’m not a fan of reading poetry for fun, but I did like these poems overall. One of the poems that spoke to me is called “Lines for a Friend Who Left.” This hit my soft spot because one of my friends moved away five years ago and I haven’t seen her since. As it says in the poem, I want her to “come back, before I forget what we both look like.”

My favorite poem in this book is called “Insomnia” because it describes how crazy our minds get when we are so focused on trying to fall asleep that we can’t fall asleep. I love how accurate it reflected my own experiences when I can’t fall asleep; my mind is everywhere at once, and I end up hearing things that are not there. 

Reviewed by S.C

No comments:

Post a Comment