Wednesday, October 16, 2013

"Winger" by Andrew Smith (439 pages)

Ryan Dean starts off his junior year in O-Hall at Pine Mountain, a boarding school for rich kids. O-Hall is the dormitory saved for the delinquents of Pine Mountain, a punishment dorm. As a 14 year old “skinny-b*tch-*ss”, Ryan Dean can’t help but feel a little out of place. Rooming with one of the biggest jerks in the school, a senior named Chas, doesn’t help his situation too much. The story revolves around Ryan Dean as he tries his best to deal with the loss of friends, becoming close friends with a gay guy (while trying to convince everyone he is also not gay), his rugby team, unrequited love, hormones, and many other unexpected changes. He deals with his stress in the best way possible- with humor. This book was a breath of fresh air; it was definitely one of the funniest books I have read in a long, long time.  I fell in love with all the characters, even the jerk named Chas.  I cannot stress enough how funny this book was! I found myself several times laughing really hard out loud, with people around me probably thinking I was insane. It was a heart-warming, humorous, authentic story that I wish I could have been a part of longer, because even though the book is a fairly decent size, it took me a very short time to read. I recommended this book to anyone who is interested in the genres of humor, sports, LGBT, or bildungsroman ( the moral growth of a character).

Reviewed by Alexis Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment